Job Search

The rat race

download

Yesterday, at about 11am, I received one of those “we regret” emails and I just shut down mentally because I AM SPENT! See, I’ve gotten used to these emails and I try to not let them affect my day but this particular one really upset me because it was a job I really wanted plus I had made it to the 4th and final stage of the recruitment process before getting cut. I had put in the work, studied all night, prayed, hoped, worried, fussed! I remember there was a time they even sent me a 35 paged document at 11pm to study for a test that was happening the next day at 10am; expectedly, I had to pull an all-nighter. And I did.

IMG_8573.JPG IMG_8572.JPG

Look how many tabs were open! Instant Brain freeze!

It’s particularly upsetting because after waiting so long and not hearing back, I had to email to follow up and the recruitment person replied me almost immediately like – oh, sorry we forget to tell you but we’ve made the decision to go with the other guy and we wish you luck –  Like really? I don’t expect for a recruiter to keep everybody informed at the initial stage of the process but I think if someone makes it to the 4th/final stages then surely it’s been narrowed down to a number that they can conveniently email once the decision has been made, No? I nearly shot back a “God punish you” type email; I was so mad. Of course I didn’t, because –professional – but I wanted to be petty so bad.  I was quite sad. You have to wonder what the conversations are like when these recruiters are making the decision on who to cut or who stays and what else you could have done to better your chances. I try not to take it personal but it’s very much a rejection and it hurts just as much as any other.

There is a problem with a system where you have THREE prestigious degrees yet you have to grovel and toil and sweat [and still fail] to secure a decent job. I hate that getting a job in this country is less about your qualification/smarts and more about who knows who. It’s just wrong.

In the past year, I’ve applied for so many different jobs so many times that sometimes when I get a call-back, I have to go back so far into my sent folder to refresh my head like “which one is this?” LOL.  I kid you guys not, I’ve blabbed through an entire 4 minute phone conversation while wondering –which job is this? – Because I didn’t even remember applying for it, there’ve been that many. Why do they take so long to get back?

In my anger yesterday, I thought – FUCK THIS! I deleted everything I’d gathered on them thus far, deleted our email thread, tore all the study notes and threw away the stupid documents. I wasn’t done; I then unsubscribed from all the job search portals and basically said FUCK IT ALL. I even had a moment where I thought – perhaps the 9-5 life is not meant for me – and I just need to find a rich man to come and marry me and let me become his problem. I damn near threw my phone against a wall but I quickly realized there are levels to madness. LMAO

Anyways, so I woke up today feeling less shitty and ready to resume the grind; one shitty day doesn’t mean we stop right? So I thought – have I truly exhausted all the mediums available to me? Maybe not! The success of a job search is fundamentally about casting your net as far and wide as you possibly can, it’s about networking, it’s about putting the word out and letting everybody know and so where better to do so than on my blog? There’s no telling who knows someone who knows someone who knows another someone who is reading this and maybe knows about an opening right? So this is me putting this out there – I AM JOB HUNTING!

Qualifications: MBA, BA (Hons) Int’l Business Admin and BA. International Business

Preferred Industry: Open

Experience: 2 years post MBA.

Location: Open [Within reason]

Training: Employability Certification

Skillset: Proficient in Microsoft Office Package, Research Methods  & Computer literacy

That’s me in a nutshell so please if you have any info and want to share, please use the contact me form on the top of this page or email me at cousinbeezy@yahoo.com. Thank you in advance 😀

Hire me. You know I am smart 😀

Cheers xx

S.

• Reply Gerry August 25, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Beauty and Brains Lomo! I am in awe of you . 3 degrees. I’ve applied to go to grad school this September . I’ve put it off for too long. The only thing we have is hope I guess. If we give up hoping, then why are we still here. Hang on, you will see the light at the end of the tunnel. We will all see it.

Reply GorgeousBskin August 25, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Thank you Gerry and good luck with grad school xx

• Reply DDO August 25, 2015 at 10:03 pm

*hot tears* at God Punish you email…maybe we can send it from an anonymous account??There will be light at the end of this tunnel 🙂 …why does it just have to be light anyways…champagne?shoes? Emirates First cabin seats?Cold Stone Ice cream?

Reply GorgeousBskin August 25, 2015 at 10:07 pm

You see why you’re my nigga? All of those things at the end of our tunnel please, not only light haha

• Reply Gerry September 8, 2015 at 10:39 am

ColdStone ice cream and Champagne at the end of the tunnel, even better. I’m never saying ” light ” again. ?

Reply GorgeousBskin September 8, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Right? Sounds better to me too ?

• Reply Niz August 26, 2015 at 9:08 am

Hello,
    What job roles are you specifically seeking? Business Analyst, … etc? it’ll be nice to narrow it down for a better way around people looking out for you.

As with job search, this heartache is quite common. Just only see it as part of the tides of life where we can’t really control things as we may have wished.

It may not be okay today, but it will eventually. Keep up the cheers. xx

Reply GorgeousBskin August 26, 2015 at 12:21 pm

I think sometimes being open different roles within your field makes it easier to get something. If I specifically say I want ABC then someone who knows BCD may pass up on me because they don’t think I’d want to do that. That’s why I leave it open.
      Thanks Niz

• Reply Nedoux August 28, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Hey babe,

I sincerely appreciate your openness. I’ve walked many miles in your shoes and I understand how you feel. A few years ago, I had just moved back home from “The Abroad” and had to sit (im)patiently in God’s waiting room applying for jobs.

To keep busy, I signed up for a pattern drafting & dress making course, which has evolved into a delightful hobby and the foundation of my new found love for blogging. I did get a nice “computer-computer” job eventually.

God has a way of ordering our footsteps perfectly, now I have both a 9 -5 gig and a Plan B (a.k.a Side Hustle) as insurance for whatever lies ahead in the future.

Seember dear, hang in there, do not despair, I assure you that everything will face nicely into place. Your qualifications are so impressive, your bride price will be so juicy o! 😀

Reply GorgeousBskin August 28, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Nedoux……
      Thank you! Honestly! I truly appreciate this. Lol @ juicy bride price ??

• Reply Nedoux August 28, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Hey babe,

Seember dear, hang in there, do not despair, I assure you that everything will fall nicely into place. Your qualifications are so impressive, your bride price will be so juicy o! ?

• Reply Bulama September 5, 2015 at 5:33 pm

I feel you, I really do. It is quite frustrating finding a job in this country. This has become the sad commentary of our country where qualifications or merits don’t longer count. But don’t despair, you have got everything and it is just a matter of time. Just hold onto God. Your dream job will come sooner than later.

Reply GorgeousBskin September 5, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Amen. Thank you Bulama

• Reply Tee September 10, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Hey S,

Finally catching up on your blog. I’ll look out for you and also keep you in my prayers.
    I’ sure something will come up for you soon.
    Hold on!
    Cheers.

Reply GorgeousBskin September 11, 2015 at 12:13 am

Hi Tee.
      I’d appreciate that, thank you so much