DIY, Grill, Health

Domestic Goddess

So I woke up in full domestic goddess mode yesterday and let me tell you, when that spirit takes over, magic happens. It’s funny how I can live on microwaved oats and pureed veggies/fruits for weeks because I’m not in the mood to cook then on other days, I go the whole nine yards with all the frills like it’s nothing.

It started Thursday when I finally dragged myself out of my room, threw on some clothes and tricked my brother into driving me everywhere I needed to go – Cucumber & Spinach from Exclusive, chicken & eggs from Anadariya, yoghurt & fruits from games village and everything else from Area 2? [skipped Shoprite] – Is it weird that I shop like that? Like I never just enter one place and buy everything I need, much to my brother’s annoyance. It’s just that overtime, I know for sure where I can get a better deal/quality for everything I need [especially fruits & veggies] and because I am very particular, it means that on stock-up days, I end up going to at least 5 different places to buy accordingly [shout out to my brother who hates the circling but has no choice]. I had been feening for a tropical salad and grilled chicken so I set to prepping while waiting for my frozen chicken to thaw.

Can I just say, I crack myself up a lot, like I actually find myself laughing a lot when I’m by myself thanks to the voices in my head and my hyperactive imagination. While unpacking my stash, I unwrapped this monster cucumber and I couldn’t help but post to my social media.

Of cos I got the boys riled up when I asked “Does this cucumber intimidate you?” LMAO [Shout out to Zim for the monster cucumber she DM’d me]; A MESS!! Hahahaha

An hour had gone by at this point and NEPA was still out which meant I couldn’t use the microwave to defrost the chicken; it still hadn’t thawed. I started forcing the chicken to let me work it but baby girl just won’t budge!! She locked her thick thighs so tight; just look at this…..

And I just couldn’t help myself yet again so I posted it to my social media pages like why is this chicken playing hard to get? I’ve been trying to get her to open her legs for over an hour but she’s just not having it. Perhaps she’s nun chicken in chickendom? Maybe raised in a convent? And I know damn well it’s a she chicken because no boy/man [especially not in the chicken world] needs to be convinced to open his legs, let alone for an entire hour, okay?! We kuku know what cocks get up to! Ha [the puns just won’t stop]! I got some hilarious responses..…

I was cracking up so bad.

Anyways, when she finally let me in [no pun], I cut out the pieces I needed, washed and left them in a colander to drain excess water, then I spiced it up and left it sitting overnight in the refrigerator to marinate.

The marinate spice is made of  – pepper, garlic, thyme, garlic salt, black pepper, knorr maggi and salt.

Lest I forget, let me say; I’m always so happy when my common sense kicks in and aids in my quest to be more frugal. I went to Anadariya with the intention of buying chicken cutlets – breasts and thighs – but then I got there and found that a pack of chicken breasts which contained 6 breast pieces cost about N1150 and the thighs were about N980 for 4 pieces, but a full chicken as pictured above cost about N1250. So what did I do? I fashied the cutlets and instead bought TWO FULL chickens from which I was able to get 4 full thighs(with 4 drumsticks) and 8 pieces of chicken breasts; the extra parts of the chicken that were left but I didn’t really need for my grill recipe have been used to make me a yummy pot of chicken stew. …. All for the bargain price of just N2500 [difference of just N370]. I felt pretty good with myself for my quick thinking. Dear husband, I’m ready to run a home 😀

By noon of yesterday, my marinated chicken bits were ready to be grilled and that’s exactly what I did – whipped out my trusty Tfal skillet, oiled it lightly with some olive oil and went to town.

Less than 10mins in and my entire house was transformed into everything you love about summer [you fancy folk].

IMG_6573.JPG IMG_6576.JPG IMG_6579.JPG

Funny Story: I bought that Tfal skillet from Target last time I was in Chicago. As it’s always the case when you enter a Target, I didn’t go there looking to buy a skillet, but there was a flash sale and the cheapskate in me couldn’t help myself. I was leaving the next day and as I packed, it dawned on me that I hadn’t thought this through… how am I going to bring this thing back to Abuja? So you know what I did? I chucked it into my carry-on bag – a large LV Neverfull – and spent the entire trip getting weird looks from people. I’m sure the fact that there was an obvious pan handle sticking out of a Louis Vuitton handbag added to the confusion because I’m guessing people would expect the owner of said bag to be a bit more “babe-ish” right? Imagine getting to the TSA line [and every other security check point] and pulling a skillet out of your handbag because metal, or getting up mid-flight to remove a book from your handbag in the overhead stow but there’s no way to do that without bringing the skillet out first. Yup! I was THAT NIGERIAN on the flight but my unlooking game was on 100. And listen; since I was flying Air France, we had a lay-over in Paris so I’m basically that stereotypical black person walking around Charles De-Gaulle carrying questionable shit.…. IN THE MOST ROMANTIC CITY IN THE WORLD. I reckon that’s why nobody toasted me that entire trip *tears* In hindsight, I should have wrapped it up or something but I’m sure the handle would still have given me away. But you know what? Today, with this mouthwatering picture and the tasty turnout of my chicken, this skillet has redeemed itself for the shame I chopped for it. Cool story over. LOL

Following my “she won’t open her legs” joke, yesterday, I posted a photo of my ready-to-eat juicy grilled chicken and obviously some of you were still in the mood for naughty jokes:

It did indeed! And that’s a lesson in patience for us all. But you lot are enablers of bad behavior! Y’all got jokes!

Anyways, that done, I set on to my tropical salad – finely chopped and thoroughly mixed together.

What you need: Avocado, Carrot, Cucumber, Sweet Corn, Mango, Tomatoes, Grilled Chicken

I used a simple dressing – a quick mix of lemon juice, unsweetened yogurt and honey.

Then I made jollof rice.

I served my tropical salad in a bed of lettuce, with grilled chicken and a drizzle of my homemade dressing. Yummers!

Don’t tell anyone but after taking pretty pictures, I went and added Jollof rice to my plate because……. Gerrarahia mehn! LOL

The rest of my boozy saturday will be spent doing just that… Boozing. Domestic Goddess….. out!

How are you guys doing? Hope you’re having a lovely weekend?

Besos xx

S.

• Reply Boki June 20, 2015 at 10:58 am

Ohhhhhh yeah!!!!! I can’t wait to nosh!!! Yayyyy!!!!
    Have I mentioned how funny you are??

Reply GorgeousBskin June 20, 2015 at 11:21 am

Lol thanks 🙂

• Reply Humzeey June 20, 2015 at 11:07 am

This post really did fly, so light and fun.

Hahahhahahahahahahha. I enjoyed this.

Had me laughing.

This Jollof rice matter ehn, I can’t wait to *redacted* and *redacted to avoid insults*.

Miss you Mami.

Reply GorgeousBskin June 20, 2015 at 11:23 am

How does one say I miss you in Ohafia, because that’s the only language I’ve not used at this point. Ugh!
      I’m glad you enjoyed the post & found it hilarious ?

• Reply ibibio babe June 20, 2015 at 12:20 pm

I stumbled on this on Twitter and I don’t regret clicking on that link. I totally loved your story, nice one!!

Reply GorgeousBskin June 20, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Thank you Ibibio babe. Come back often 🙂

• Reply sasha fierce June 20, 2015 at 1:35 pm

At this point I am begging, can I visit you??????????? my own domestic goddess have refused to come outside. Well done. You had me munching the screen and convincing myself to try and go to get chicken. Well done

Reply GorgeousBskin June 20, 2015 at 2:14 pm

You’re welcome anytime 🙂

• Reply sasha fierce June 21, 2015 at 11:53 am

I’m serious o. Please where is your house

• Reply Onyeka June 20, 2015 at 2:48 pm

This just made me soooooooooooo hungry!! You make cooking look easy! Would definitely try that dressing out.

Reply GorgeousBskin June 20, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Yay! Let me know how it goes 🙂

• Reply Doosh June 20, 2015 at 4:10 pm

there was even Jollof????…this is totally unfair now

Reply GorgeousBskin June 20, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Oh dear! I shall redeem myself. I promise :*

• Reply Nedoux June 21, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Reverend Sister Chicken! You won’t kill me with laughter 😀

I’m thankful that I read this post with a very full tummy, haba! serious eye candy (belly candy is more apt, abi?)

Reply GorgeousBskin June 22, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Lol belly candy it is. Glad you enjoyed it :*

• Reply Ms Bee June 23, 2015 at 8:30 am

First time commenter, although been following from Day 1.

You are one hilarious chica. I reckon if i’m laughing this much from a written post, u must be quite the comedian in real life.

Thanks for introducing me to the world of juicing…now if only I could get off my butt and work out.

Definitely going to try this dressing. Need to chuck my boring dressing mix, very discouraging combo.

Reply GorgeousBskin June 23, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Awwwww thank you Ms Bee, I truly appreciate .
      I don’t know about being a comedian but my friends and I laugh a lot at the most mundane stuff 🙂
      I’m glad you’re Juicing now, I think it really is how you tell your body you love it. Don’t ever stop. I believe you’ll add a fitness regimen soon, no matter how small, just try. It’s not how much you do, it’s how consistent you are… So I’m rooting for you!
      Let me know how your dressing comes out & thank you again for finally comment [and being my day one].
      Big hugs xx

• Reply Tayo June 24, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Looool…I missed the second part of naughty Saturday with the closed legs, but I must say the cucumber had me shook.
    Nice one … again. Gerrahiamen Shii!!

Keep ’em coming babes.

Reply GorgeousBskin June 24, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Lmao @ shook. Are you saying you bow in the presence of a higher power? ??????? I’m sorry

• Reply Bee (@BforBetula) July 4, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Looks delisssssh. I baked a whole chicken on Sunday and I thought of you and this post. Everyone loves a silly joke heavy with innuendo! x

Reply GorgeousBskin July 4, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Everyone loves people who get the innuendos ha ha.

• Reply GB Dot Com is ONE – Thank YOU!!!!!!   – Gorgeous Brown Skin February 25, 2016 at 11:01 am

[…] also had the lovely birthday, the fitness stuff, the cooking, the tedious job search, random shit, rants and tons more. Just look through the archives; it was a […]

• Reply stephanie March 31, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Hi Georgeous skin,

please what is the exact name of the yogurt used… saw your DIY greek yogurt and cant really see the name of the bottle… You could also recommend any i can use to make my greek yogurt ff your pictures…

reside in lagos.
    thanks alot

Reply GorgeousBskin March 31, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Hi Stephanie… sorry I don’t remember the name of the exact yoghurt I used in this recipe but any one that contains live or active bacteria/culture will work perfectly. So look out for these terms on the label and you should be good. Hope this helps