DIY, Health, Lifestyle, wellness

Who is slowly becoming a DIY Queen?….Greek yoghurt

I made greek yoghurt!! Yes I did!

On Friday, my friend Dooshima came to visit and brought me a yummy bowl of salad just because I had just finished my cleanse and she wanted to make me something. Can we clap for Dooshima… how thoughtful!! I totally enjoyed this salad and I’ve gotten the recipe, it shall be recreated and posted on this blog soon. Thanks Doosh!

Fireworks in my mouth!!!

Anyways, as I was saying, Dooshima and I got talking and sharing tips about everything as is normal with us then she mentioned that she makes her own greek yoghurt and I was like… pause!! Why have I not thought of this? And just like that, I said please lets go and buy the things…haha.

See I don’t think I need to spend time extolling the many benefits of greek yoghurt as I’m pretty sure readers of this blog already know the koko. Walk into a supermarket/shop here in Abuja and you’ll see that the price of a small teeny tiny cup of greek yoghurt ranges anywhere between N1,500 – N4000; I kid you not! I usually just unlook and waka pass like I didn’t see it sef so you can understand why I’m so excited that I found an alternative.

We discovered this well stocked, well priced and clean supermarket in Games Village that had everything. We were genuinely surprised; it exceeded our expectations by far. And for me, the fact that its in games village is awesome because it means I can totally turn this into my evening exercise – walk from my house to buy what I need and walk back. DOUBLE WIN!!!!!

A couple of minutes and N900 later, I emerged from the supermarket ready to go greek!

IMG_2414                   IMG_2494

This is everything you need to make greek yoghurt.

• Yoghurt that contains live culture (it’s usually indicated on the pack). I bought the unsweetened one and it cost me N500 for this one litre bottle. You only need 4 tablespoons per each batch of 1 litre milk so this means you can re-use this at least 10 more times, the only thing you’ll need to buy each time is milk. Awesome!
  • 1 litre of Fresh whole milk (N400). You can use low fat milk too. Infact, I’ll do so with the next batch. I even learnt that you can use powdered milk too but I’m not that adventurous yet.
  • Old empty glass jars (from olives, mayo, coffee, pickles etc)
  • Sieve cloth, an old t-shirt or a silk scarf. I set aside a scarf, never to be used outside the kitchen again forever and ever, amen!

• First things first, you need to sterilize the empty glass jars. This is done by washing the jars thoroughly, then placing them and their covers in a pot, fill it with water to cover to the brim and then set it on the burner, let the water boil. Once its boiled, reduce the heat but don’t turn if off completely and leave the jars in the boiling water on the burner until you’re ready to use them.

IMG_2494     IMG_2415

• Scald the milk. This is done by pouring all the milk into a pot and putting it on a high heat burner to boil. You have to watch the milk closely else it can boil over and pour like okro soup….messy! This step takes about 3 minutes if the milk is at room temperature but about 5 minutes if it came out of the fridge. You’ll know it’s ready when you see it forming bubbles around the corners of the pot, at which point you take the pot off the burner and set aside to cool.

• Allow the scalded milk to cool. You want it cool enough to touch but not cold. You will know its cool enough when you can touch and hold your finger on the side of the pot used and it doesn’t burn your finger. This should take approximately 10 minutes.
  • At this point, you will now add 4 tablespoons of yoghurt (which contains live culture) into the warm milk, mix thoroughly and then immediately pour the mix into the glass jars that you will at this point take out of the boiling water. Cover the jar lid immediately. Very tightly.
  • Now for some people, at this stage, they place the jars of milk into a warm oven for a bit but I don’t have an oven so I didn’t. It is perfectly fine to just place the jars in a warm dry cupboard and leave it alone but for extra heat, I placed the jars into a food warmer, covered it and kept it away in a dark warm kitchen cupboard. This was done at about 6pm and I didn’t check in till the morning of the next day around 9am.
  • I ran to the kitchen by morning, carefully pulled out my food warmer and behold……. It was thick. That’s how you know it worked; the milk becomes thick. You’d know when you shake the glass jar. WIN!!!

IMG_2446     IMG_2448

•  At this point, you have yoghurt, but we are making GREEK yoghurt so don’t rush off in excitement just yet. You will need to strain the excess whey (water) in the yoghurt. This is done by pouring the entire yoghurt into the sieve cloth/old tshirt/scarf and tying it. Set in on a high stand in a container and leave it sitting in the fridge for about 2-3 hours (longer if you want to end up with a cheese like consistency). In 3 hours, you should have your greek yoghurt ready to eat.

IMG_2449          IMG_2465

• My initial 3 jars (pre-strain) became 1 jar and a half but for N900 (and plenty leftover yoghurt that I can reuse 10 times), that’s a huge bargain. As my middle name is overkill, I see myself making uncountable jars of greek yoghurt going forward, I’d share with you if you’re nice 😀
  • At this point I poured my greek yoghurt into the containers but not before making sure to taste some. I served it with 200g of sweet Benue mango and a drizzle of honey because….sweet tooth! Plus overkill…remember? It was proper yummy!!! However do not limit yourself; greek yoghurt can be enjoyed in a variety of ways – plain, with nuts or fruits, in smoothies or even as dressing. Go be epic!!!

IMG_2467    IMG_2468 IMG_2470      IMG_2473

Are you inspired to try making yours? Please share with me when you do. Do you have a Pro-tip to share or a question? Please use the comments box below.

Thank you for reading.

• Reply musingsofagidimallam February 26, 2015 at 10:13 am

I’m probably going to try this when I have some free time on my hands. Thanks for the in-depth process explanation.

Reply GorgeousBskin February 26, 2015 at 10:31 am

Yay!! Let me know how it goes when you do.

• Reply Hadeezah February 26, 2015 at 10:15 am

This is super awesome. I live in kano and have searched everywhere for greek yoghurt to no avail. I am so glad i subscribed to your blog. You are amazing. Will try making the greek yoghurt and will let you know how it turns out. Keep inspiring us

Reply GorgeousBskin February 26, 2015 at 10:34 am

Thank you so much Hadeezah! Means so much to me, thank you for subscribing as well, will do my best to make it worth your while.
      Greek yoghurt shouldn’t be a luxury, but in our dear country, everything is… which means DIY alternatives are a necessity. Let me know how yours turns out.
      Cheers xx

• Reply neka February 26, 2015 at 10:38 am

Wow. I would certainly give this a try. Easy enough steps. Kindly give us names of products used in future recipes for when we go scouting. Thanks and well done.

Reply GorgeousBskin February 26, 2015 at 10:48 am

Hi Neka.
      What i used, as shown with pictures is Bridel full cream milk (could be any other type) and yoghurt with live culture.
      That’s all you need.
      Let me know how yours turns out.
      Thanks. cheers xx

• Reply Mofoluwasho February 26, 2015 at 10:51 am

This is great. Stumbled on this blog from twitter – someone recommended it. I am loving it already. I like that you are abuja-based like me, makes it easy to relate with the recipes and places. Easy to read and pictures make the recipe/process easy to follow. I should try this out on a day I am not feeling too lazy. 😉

Reply GorgeousBskin February 26, 2015 at 10:56 am

Hi Mofuluwasho
      Haha… dont be lazy! It literally takes less than 30 minutes for all of this.
      I’m very happy you like it, dont forget to subscribe 😀
      Big thanks to the someone who recommended the site.
      Have a nice day. Cheers xx

• Reply Humzeey February 26, 2015 at 11:23 am

I’m no DIY queen, but I’m happy I know you. So I shall be coming to shorten your ration!

Reply GorgeousBskin February 26, 2015 at 11:40 am

Lol hi Humzz. Anytime baby!

• Reply Nori February 26, 2015 at 12:18 pm

This is great. I will try it. …I am very impressed by your effort

Reply GorgeousBskin February 26, 2015 at 12:20 pm

• Reply Maryam February 26, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Ah love me some DIY anytime. I will definitely give this a try even though I am quite sure my first trial would be a mess. I am a smoothie junkie and Greek yogurt is so hard to find in Abuja that I just stick to bananas as a thickening agent. Thanks GBS for the tips.

Reply GorgeousBskin February 26, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Hi Maryam.
      If you follow these steps as illustrated, you should have a lovely batch of Greek yogurt. Trust me, it was my first time making it too.
      Thank you for stopping by.
      Cheers xx

• Reply DDO February 26, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Clapping for myself 🙂 …I agree with Humz..add me to your ration list o!

Reply GorgeousBskin February 26, 2015 at 2:37 pm

You have shares in this company young lady!

• Reply BEET IT!!! BEEEEEEEEET IT!!!! Just BEET it! – Gorgeous Brown Skin February 26, 2015 at 4:13 pm

[…] Previous Post […]

• Reply Menoword February 26, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Now subscribing abeg!!!! This Greek yoghurt you’ve just made has made my own day. Lactose intolerance be dammed!

Reply GorgeousBskin February 26, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Hi Menoword.
      I want to squeal yay but I also don’t want you to be sick oooo. He he
      Thanks for subscribing xx

• Reply Jennifer March 2, 2015 at 6:57 pm

This looks yum. Why do I have to do it myself when I have you. I am with Humzee.

Reply GorgeousBskin March 2, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Babe….. You’re on probation.

• Reply Nennynina March 11, 2015 at 11:06 am

OK. I should try this. Hope I don’t make a mess….If I get it…LOOOOOL…kai…my freezer will be filled with yoghurt. walahi!

Reply GorgeousBskin March 11, 2015 at 11:40 am

You’ll do well, I’m sure. Pretty straightforward and easy. Let me know how it goes xx

• Reply Christabel March 20, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Hi Seember,
    I found an unsweetened yoghurt with ‘lactic culture’ so I’m wondering, is it the same as live culture?

Reply GorgeousBskin March 20, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Hi Christabel, yes. It’ll work just fine.

• Reply ibiayo April 2, 2015 at 8:11 pm

I am soooo excited to have found your blog. I actually just Googled greek yogurt abuja cos I just moved here and was wondering where I could buy it. 4000 in some stores ke? Something I buy for 350 at goodies in lagos and it’s actually a reasonably sized bowl. *sigh* will try this method of yours and let you know how I goes. (Sorry for the epistle)

• Reply Ibiayo May 4, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Hi S, i know this is an old post but its related to my question…. abeg, the guys at amigos told me their own yogurt (thats the amigos yogurt made by them in the plastic cream container) is actually greek yogurt. I guess im skeptical cos it cots just 600 naira which is quite cheap considering the fact that i’ve heard tiny containers of greek yogurts are often sold in thousands of naira. Abeg what are your thoughts? Have you tried it? I’m new in abuja and just finding my bearings.
    I know the post encourages D.I.Y but *coughs* i shall definitely find a way to mess it up if i do it myself

p.s: for the lagos peeps, greek yogurt can be found in goodies for about 450 per bowl and the bowl is quite reasonable (as in its not tiny).

Reply GorgeousBskin May 4, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Hi there… I’ve never tried the amigo one to be honest but you can just but since it’s 600 bucks and try [and let me know too :D].
      Welcome to Abuja.. How are you loving it?

• Reply enkay June 30, 2015 at 10:34 am

Old post I know…but my frustrations of not finding Greek yoghrt in any store in abuja led me 2 hunt for it via Google, and somehow I click’d on one of Google answers, and am I impressed or what? I hurriedly called my friend 2 tell her,my days of Greek yoghurt hunting is over! I’m so grateful for this single info…DIY queen indeed! Subscribing all the way mama! Thanks again

Reply GorgeousBskin June 30, 2015 at 10:39 am

Oh the joy I feel when I get these comments!!!!
      I’m very fulfilled right now & glad you can rest easier. Thank you for subscribing , very much appreciated xx

• Reply Ada Nnewi. November 26, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Thank so much my quest for healthy living,I ve combed d big stores in my area,somewhere in lagos, looking for Greek yoghurt to no avail. And just when I turned to Google,voila! Thanks so much. I bought 1 litre yoghurt before I came across this and I rushed to see if it has live culture. Thankfully,it has lactic culture and I guess it will do cos I already saw ur reply to someone who asked. I will be going back to d store to get fresh milk. Will try it out this weekend. Thanks dearie.

Reply GorgeousBskin November 26, 2015 at 10:26 pm

You are so welcome. Please let me know how it turns out 🙂

• Reply softabode March 14, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Wow, this is amazing. I have searched all over for Greek yogurt in Abuja. I decided to search on Google and I came across your page. I am so subscribing to your blog because I love DIYS and also because you gave a detailed explanation with the pictures too. Thank you so much. Will definitely try this

Reply GorgeousBskin March 14, 2016 at 8:18 pm

I’m so glad you found this useful. Let me know how it turns out:

• Reply Ada Nna May 12, 2016 at 9:55 am

Hi, thank you for this post. Am very grateful! Started a small business & i found just 1 place that sells greek yogurt in abuja, frankly i’ve not been making profit as it’s expensive. Considering my products have to be reasonably cheap so that i can hold on to my customers. I stay in games village too & i’ll def try this out. Pls, which of the supermarts? Sekmart?

Reply GorgeousBskin May 12, 2016 at 10:00 am

You’re very welcome Ada, definitely worth trying.
      Yes Sekmart it is, it’s a hidden gem I tell you.
      Wish you every success with your business. Bless xx

• Reply Debby September 9, 2016 at 10:30 am

Thank you so much for this post. You explained and it looks very easy to make. I’ll try it and I heard it’s a very good moisturizer for the hair. Thanks so much for helping me save my cash.

• Reply Ann December 29, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Loving this, has been searching for shops where I can buy greek yoghurt in Abuja, now I stumbled into this, it will help me alot on my healthy diets. thanks.

Reply GorgeousBskin January 2, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Happy to hear,
      You’re most welcome.

• Reply Bimbola March 24, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Hello thanks so much for this naija way of making greek yoghurt! wow you are a life saver!! one question though when I put it in the fridge do I cover or leave open?

Reply GorgeousBskin March 24, 2017 at 4:53 pm

You’re most welcome Bimbola! I’m glad you found the post so useful. Pls cover when it’s ready to be refrigerated, leaving it open won’t affect it negatively but it’s just hygienic to cover. Enjoy your yogurt.. cheers xx

• Reply Motunrayo June 1, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Hello gorgeous, thanks I make mine came out like what I saw in ur post. I just need to please how sour can it be.

Reply GorgeousBskin August 5, 2017 at 9:54 pm

You’re welcome Motunrayo.
      The sourness of your batch depends on how sour the initial yoghurt with the active culture was…
      Hope this helps?
      Cheers xx

• Reply Idy October 22, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Thanks for this explicit explanation or should I say tutorial on this topic, it’s been a headache getting it from the shops, please I have a concern, for storage can I use those Habib yogurt plastic containers since I don’t have glass ones? Will it affect the preservation of the Greek yogurt?

Reply GorgeousBskin December 21, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Hi Idy, so sorry it took me so long to reply to you, for some reason i’m only just seeing your comment.
      Yes you can store it in the plastic containers, it wont affect the yoghurt.
      And you’re welcome, glad you found this useful

• Reply Mozeezah November 16, 2017 at 10:16 am

This is really helpful, however i am a bit confused on which is the finished greek yoghurt, is it what is left in the scarf or the extract through the scarf?

Reply GorgeousBskin December 21, 2017 at 3:28 pm

What is left in the scarf is the finished product.
      What goes through is the whey and some people save that to use in smoothies as it also contains alot good stuff but the greek yoghurt is whhat;s in thhe scarf.
      You’re welcome Mozeezah

• Reply Mojisola Olatinwo November 25, 2017 at 8:52 pm

I just tried it today. You simplified the process thanks. I used low fat powdered milk and it came out lovely. Thanks for sharing. I see myself taking a lot of it now.

Reply GorgeousBskin December 21, 2017 at 3:29 pm

I’m so glad this was helpful to you Mojisola.
      You’re welcome.

• Reply Joy March 18, 2018 at 2:46 pm

This is the best piece ive read all year.
    I am a greek yoghurt addict, I even ask for greek yoghurt to everyone that asks as my birthday gift. I am sooooo grateful, im doing this right away. Im soooooo happy… you have no idea.

Reply GorgeousBskin March 18, 2018 at 5:44 pm

I’m glad you found this useful Joy.
      Goodluck as you try, cheers xx

• Reply Joy March 18, 2018 at 3:22 pm

Hi Gorgeousbskin…
    Just to be clear… after putting it in a sieve, I will tie the sieve then put it in a high container and then into the freezer?
    Pls reply asap… im have a desperate need to try this. Im off to get my ingredients…

Reply GorgeousBskin March 18, 2018 at 5:46 pm

No not freezer, fridge.
      This is only because it needs to be in a cool place while it strains
      you’re welcome